EJ INNOVATION TECHNOLOGY CENTER
EJ INNOVATION TECHNOLOGY CENTER
Addressing aging of the infrastructure facilities that form the foundation of industry and of people’s lives, and coping with increasingly frequent torrential rains and other natural disasters, have become priority issues in infrastructure development in Japan. Japan also faces social issues that include a shrinking pool of people able to shoulder infrastructure development, caused by a declining birthrate and aging population. Achieving safe, secure, and prosperous lives for people calls for a shift from conventional infrastructure development and for accelerated innovation in digital technologies that utilize the Internet of things (IoT), artificial intelligence (AI), and big data, as well as aggressive advancement of infrastructure facility development, maintenance, and operation.
To further expand the framework for technological development and meet such needs, we reorganized the EJ Research Center for Disaster Risk Mitigation and launched the EJ Innovation Technology Center on June 1, 2021.
Three groups operating under the basic principle of “a leading infrastructure solution consultancy firm in Japan,” a goal of the EJ Group, will collaborate at the EJ Innovation Technology Center to carry forward the efforts of the EJ Research Center for Disaster Risk Mitigation. These groups will tackle the development of differentiation technologies that leverage the IoT, AI, and other digital technologies, along with the evolution and development of infrastructure technologies overall, including the latest inspection and surveying technologies.
Disaster Risk Group
Carrying forward the efforts of the EJ Research Center for Disaster Risk Mitigation, this group develops solution technologies involving the evaluation of earthquakes, tsunamis, high tides, floods, sediment, volcanoes, and other natural disaster risks, along with disaster prevention planning, disaster prevention measures, and awareness and reconstruction projects.
Substance identification using hyperspectral cameras
Method using imaging information to identify substances and physical properties
Identification of locations of slope failure hazards during earthquakes
Estimation of damage based on rate of collapse frequency, etc. in accordance with seismic intensity
Disaster response process management system
Development of priority assessment systems for local government disaster prevention planning
Data Science Group
Looking toward Japan’s national policy of achieving “Society 5.0” and the promotion of infrastructure DX, this group develops IoT-related, AI-related, and other data science technologies, including 3D measurement and data processing/utilization for land and water areas, image analysis and image identification including satellite images, XR, and acquisition/aggregation/visualization of disaster information through sensors, etc.
Visualization + display
Display of numerical simulation results via VR
System for immediate determination of degree of damage
Development of disaster situation surveying system using simple seismometers
Infrastructure Technology Group
This group develops solutions technologies related to infrastructure technology overall, including infrastructure facility maintenance, maintenance operation, and sophistication and streamlining of survey and inspection methods for infrastructure facilities.
Autonomous and remotely-operated underwater measurement
Acceleration and streamlining of all construction and production processes
When disaster occurs, EJEC engages in recovery and reconstruction, conducts disaster surveys, and releases the findings. It is our hope that these actions will contribute to the development of civil engineering infrastructure technologies.
- Published “A Chronicle of Events from the Great East Japan Earthquake to Reconstruction: Looking Back on 10 Years of Activities” (EJIT Center)
- Posted seismic motion data for the February 13, 2021 Fukushima Prefecture offshore earthquake (EJ Research Center for Disaster Risk Mitigation)
- Posted “2019 Yamagata Prefecture Offshore Earthquake Damage Survey Report” (EJ Research Center for Disaster Risk Mitigation)
- Posted “2018 Hokkaido Eastern Iburi Earthquake Damage Survey Report” (EJ Research Center for Disaster Risk Mitigation)
- Posted seismic motion data for the June 18, 2018 Northern Osaka Prefecture earthquake (EJ Research Center for Disaster Risk Mitigation)
- Published “5th Anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake: Record of Our Activity”
- Posted “Central Tottori Prefecture Earthquake Damage Survey Report”
- Posted “2016 Kumamoto Earthquake Damage Survey Report”
- “2016 Kumamoto Earthquake Field Survey Bulletin (Mashiki-machi, etc.)” (PDF, 4.6 MB)
- Posted “Nepal Earthquake Damage Survey Report” (PDF, 13 MB)
- Posted “Christchurch, New Zealand Earthquake Damage Survey Report”
- Disaster surveys prior to March 11, 2011